Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To Stream Or Not To Stream

I have been a faithful Netflix subscriber since 2006. As mentioned in a previous post, I have about 126 movies in my DVD queue and 78 in my instant watch queue. I pay just over $10 per month for these services and with the Roku box, I can stream Netflix movies through my TV. Woo hoo! Imagine my surprise when I received an email from Netflix today stating that in September, I will have to choose between receiving DVDs in the mail or watching instantly. I can, of course, continue the same plan I have now, but it will cost me over $16 per month. I don't fault Netflix for this rate hike. I'm sure they lose money by having me as a member. In fact, thanks to feedflix.com, which calculates the amount you pay per DVD, I know that they do. I guess I am just wondering if I really need both streaming and DVDs in the mail. Most of the TV shows I want to watch aren't streaming yet (except for the odd gems like Arrested Development or Studio 60), but it is nice to sit back and choose from 78 movies to watch at instantly. Is the extra $6 per month really going to break the bank? Netflix adds new movies to streaming all the time. And I like getting those new movies in the mail the first day they're available. My bet is that I'll maintain the status quo and pay the extra money to keep my account as it is. What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment